Saturday, July 28, 2012

Just For Laughs journal -- A Talk with Wayne Brady

If you were a frequent viewer of the American version of the improv comedy show "Whose Line Is It, Anyways?" on ABC during the late 90s, you couldn't miss troupe member Wayne Brady for his extraordinary skills of taking a bunch of audience suggestions and turn them into a cohesive, funny song in a matter of mere minutes.

Brady, who was a Just For Laughs gala host 10 years ago, returns to wrap up this year's 30th anniversary edition with his solo show "I See White People", which is playing at the Gesu Theatre until tomorrow (July 29), and two additional shows have been included, which is another example of Brady's massive popularity with Montreal audiences.

"I took up improv when I was about 19 years old, when I was studying theatre in college. I also joined a comedy lab and a theatresports group in Florida. I found that improv was fun because we were always playing around, and it helped me to become a better writer," said Brady in a recent phone interview prior to the premiere of his show.

However, it was an onstage incident doing a serious production that forever cemented Brady's future towards comedy and improv. "I was onstage doing this huge fight scene and right in the middle of it, I forgot my lines in a major way. So I looked to one side of the stage, smiled, waved and walked off. I then went to the dressing room, got my stuff, went into my car and drove off. It was quite embarrassing, but when I look back at it, I'm glad it happened," he recalled.

And what about that incredible ability to create a song on the fly, and make it sound like it was professionally written and recorded, which has become Brady's trademark? "I'm a songwriter by trade, and I enjoy listening to music. When audience members give me suggestions for the song improv exercises, I process it like I'm in a recording studio, and a computer screen pops into my head to help me process the suggestions. I don't have the luxury of being in a recording studio, where I can incorporate a variety of elements that are given to me that I can do in about 20 minutes. When I'm onstage, I have to prepare the song immediately. In fact, I see the words in my head as I'm singing it," he said.

I asked Brady about the choice for the show's title "I See White People" (which is a takeoff of Hailey Joel Osment's immortal line from The Sixth Sense), and he admitted that there is a racial undertone to it and the show. He told me that there is plenty of audience participation in some of the improv exercises, as well as song writing exercises, but he also wants to focus on promoting harmony.

"The reason for the show's title is first and foremost to create a reaction in which people will go 'Huh?' and 'What?'. I'm an open-minded person racially. I want to create an environment where race is not the issue, but to prove to people how good you are, how smart you are and how fast you are. I grew up in an environment where I was told I was not black enough or I was too black. My goal in life is to create an end result in which people will ask if I am funny or trusted enough to be the best guy around," he said.

"Some of the improv exercises that I will be doing with audience will show through doing some fun improv that racial stereotypes are silly. There will be no preaching at this show and if there is any, it will be funny preaching," he added. "The best kind of comedy around is the type that makes me laugh my butt off, but sometimes makes me pause and think about it."

Brady has quite an expansive show business career, with "Whose Line...", his self-titled TV show that earned him an Emmy Award, continual touring and a stint as the host of the revived version of the classic TV game show "Let's Make A Deal"; however, there are more projects on the horizon that he wants to undertake.

"I would like to produce and star in my own long-running sitcom; I would one day like to win a Grammy Award; and I would like to perform on Broadway. I can never feel fulfilled. There is still so much more to do."

And that's the name of that (improvised) tune!

No comments: